the Quiet Revolution

"Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations pursues, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Name:
Location: Morristown, NJ, United States

Unleashing the Human Spirit!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I Beg to Differ . . . and so did the country apparently

The following is a response to Michael Barone’s piece, “Uneasy for a Reason” published in US News & World Report on 10/30/06. You can read his piece here: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/061022/30barone.htm


Yawn. There it is again. References to the boogeyman in order to create fear and unease. If there is anything I am growing weary of, Mr. Barone, it is the tireless references made by people about all the things I should be afraid of in the world – the multitude of ways terrorists can kill or harm me, evil countries, turning the country over to the wrong party, tsunamis, earthquakes, lyme disease, pedophiles . . . stay tuned . . . news at 11:00.

Let’s be real. There have always been boogeymen in our lives, whether it is the 1960s or 2006, and there always will be. The difference is our choice to focus on them and to let them consume us, our minds, our politics, our media . . . everything. As you so aptly pointed out, the world has gotten better, so why are we so cranky and feel it has gotten worse?

For the record, I’m not cranky and “thinking the country is on the wrong track because I expect things to be good,” as you intimate. I’m cranky and think the country is on the wrong track because my thinking, and the thinking of a growing number of Americans, is evolving. We have evolved past the need to have boogeymen to motivate us and we have arrived at a place where we are motivated by something a bit more positive and proactive . . . possibility.

I’m cranky because I don’t believe the solution to high gasoline prices or the energy situation is more drilling. That treats the symptom, just like the ever-proliferating pharmaceutical industry. I am tired of treating symptoms. I want to address the causes.

Drilling for oil is not a solution. Creating a better energy source is.

I’m not “dismayed by continuing violence in Iraq because I expect military interventions to be casualty free.” It’s war for crying out loud! That’s like saying I am dismayed that I had to scramble eggs to make my omelet. Those sacrifices must be expected. What I am dismayed about is that we felt a military intervention was the answer and that that military intervention was a success once a statue was toppled in Baghdad. I’m dismayed that the eggs were cracked for the omelet when what I really wanted was oatmeal.

I’m not dismayed over the fact that our economy has enjoyed “just two brief recessions, low inflation and steady economic growth.” I am dismayed at the fact that all of this has come on the back of ever-increasing personal and national debt. Want a real boogeyman? Try this on for size – “house of cards.” God forbid anyone start calling in their chips. Our financial house of cards will collapse in the most gentle of breezes.

Want another real boogeyman? Try the impending water crisis in this country and around the world. What water crisis you ask? Let’s answer this little test. How many of you reading this letter still drink tap water? And that just addresses the quality issue. The quantity issue is just as big. If you think a war for oil is a worthy cause to sacrifice life and economic resources, wait until we have to fight for one of the building blocks of life rather than a luxury to fuel our Hummers.

No Mr. Barone, I’m not cranky or uneasy because there is yet another boogeyman in my closet. I’m cranky because of the focus on fear rather than possibility. Ever read or hear about the tenet that what you focus on you create? Fear only begets more fear. I’m cranky because we continue to focus on fear and short-term band-aids rather than making the truly hard decisions, rolling up our sleeves, and doing the hard work that will actually create possibilities and solve the problem, rather than simply treat the symptom and create another boogeyman to justify a course of action.

Now that kind of thinking would demonstrate true leadership, something that according to US News & World Report, the American people are in search of.

Copyright 2006, Rich Largman, All rights reserved

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home